Thursday, July 2, 2009

A New Chapter

I left home for college when I was 18 years old. At the time it felt like I was leaving the small town (Nacogdoches, TX) and moving to the big city (Austin). I remember being nervous and excited, and I still remember the first day I arrived and having the help of many who would become my new friends helping me move into my new dorm room.

The college years came to a close as the 90's did, and I officially finished my coursework on December 8, 1999. That date will forever have a strong memory in my mind as it was also the evening that I went on my first date with a girl that led to one of the most intense relationships that I have ever experienced. More on that later if you are lucky or if I get bored.

The reason that we are gathered here today is to discuss the fact that after I was liberated from a small town and moved to the capital of my state I have continued living in Austin for the last 14 years. I have worked at many jobs, some large and some small. I returned to school and received my MBA. All in all, Austin has given me some of the best friends that anyone could imagine while constantly providing growth opportunities and entertainment.

In May, I graduated with my master's degree and I decided that I should finally expand my horizons outside of Austin. The town, which once seemed so overwhelming and strange, has now started to feel stagnant and confining. I still have the greatest friends in the world, so at least they can understand why I feel the need to leave their comfort for at least a little while.

To celebrate my graduation and liberation from rent, I have decided to pack up the car and travel across the country. I don't want to plan this too much. To foster the excitement I will be sleeping on friends couches. This is my opportunity to see people that have moved away that I haven't seen for some time. I know that I want to visit Norman Oklahoma for the first time. After that I will be traveling west to San Diego, LA, Big Sur, San Francisco, and then who knows. I also really want to make it to Seattle, Portland and maybe Vancouver. It all depends on how long it takes me and how much fun I am having.

From here on out, this blog will be dedicated to keeping everyone posted as to where my journey has taken me, and what I have learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment