Thursday, August 20, 2009

What's The Worst That Could Happen?

“First ask yourself: What is the worst that can happen? Then prepare to accept it. Then proceed to improve on the worst.”—Dale Carnegie

I was reading one of my new favorite blogs ThrillingHeroics.com this afternoon and I ran across a quote I had never heard, but had always intuitively known. The above quote from Dale Carnegie sums up how we should all do business and live our lives. Many of us tend to focus on the negative and worry about what could happen. Is there a place for this in our lives, of course. However, you cannot dwell on these things. You must be honest in what it is that you want to achieve, and be willing to take the risks to get there.

I have known for some time that I wanted to start my own business. I have worked for myself before, but I lacked the maturity at the time to stick with it. Now that I have completed my MBA (and many years have passed since my last venture out on my own) I am once again starting a company. Most of my friends, and some of my family as well, think that I am absolutely crazy. This is because most of the people that you know are thinking about what they can do to fit into an existing mold. This can be a good formula if you are only seeking limited success.

To truly be successful and happy in life, you should focus on what you can do that fits who you are. In order to do this you have to cast away your fears and do what you know is right for you. If you, like me, tend to have an adventuresome spirit the best thing you can do is to figure out what you want to do and then find a way to do it. Don't worry about the naysayer (there will always be naysayer) because in truth they are either worried because you haven't fit into a predetermined way to be or they are jealous because you are living out their dream to step outside of the box.

No comments:

Post a Comment