Friday, August 14, 2009

Dove Chocolate and Enlightenment

This weekend I am dog sitting for a friend. I have been sitting in the living room and watching a History Channel special on Edgar Cayce. While sitting here I decided to indulge in a Dove Dark Chocolate square that was sitting in the middle of the table in a bowl. The chocolates have sayings in them and I am a huge fan of the quote that was inside my chocolate. It read, "Enjoy Life's Daily Gifts." This is one of the things that I try and do everyday. Yes, there are days when I am more successful than others, but I try to approach everyday with a child-like sense of wonder and I try to focus on the positive. Making a conscious decision to do this had led me to weed out some of my friends.

Downsizing my friend population has become a sad necessity to maintain a positive attitude. If you know of a way to avoid this, please let me know. I would love to keep all of my friends close, but have been unable to find a way to achieve this. It seems that some of the people whose paths have joined mine tend to be toxic or at least unsupportive of the way that I want to see the world and the way that I want to lead my life.

In order to continue on the path that I feel like I am supposed to, it has become necessary to include these people less and less. Thinking about it makes me a little sad, but sadness is necessary to understand the human condition. I cannot remove sadness from my emotional palette any more than I can change my friends’ beliefs and attitudes to make them more aligned with mine. As I sit here this afternoon, a thought echoes in my mind... Surround yourself with the people you love, and the people who make your life better and remove the influences that pull you down into despair. Have a great weekend and let's all try to get through it in one piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment