Thursday, August 6, 2009

Truth is stranger than fiction

Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. On Tuesday I witnessed a scene that has stuck with me all week. As I left my favorite coffee shop (insert shameless plug for Trianon coffee in ATX here) I saw a man driving a full size truck. Although that has become less common over the last two years, that isn't what shocked me.

What shocked me was his behavior. This man was in a parking lot backing up across a group of parking spots. There were no cars there so there shouldn't have been any immediate danger. He had a camper on his white truck, and it was packed.

I looked at the guy to make sure his vehicle wasn't going to be put in a forward gear as soon as I passed. As our eyes met, I realized that the tailgate was down. A wooden barstool, the cheap kind you can find at the rear of any wal mart, was falling out.

As the vehicle reversed I motioned for him to stop... He continued. I honked my horn, and yet the man continued to reverse towards part of the payload that had fallen out of the vehicle. Finally, after laying on the horn and waving my hand I got the guy to stop. He looked at me and I pointed to the object he was about to back over.

The next thing that happened has been puzzling me for days. The man waved me off. He shooed me as he would a common fly. Finally I threw my hands up and I decided to let exasperation take it's hold. I drove off thinking, "what a dumbass!"

After traveling a block I thought that maybe the entire thing had been planned out.aybe he intended to run it over, but why? I eventually decided that he's an idiot and he didn't know why I was honking my horn. That seems much more plausible than planning on a chair to fall out of your truck so that you can run it over, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment