Tuesday, April 20, 2010

You know you are running late when the coffee guy has gone inside...

There is this guy that I have wanted to meet for months. The only problem is that when I see him, he's working and I don't want to distract him. That may not make much sense, but once I explain it should become clearer.

Every day on my way to work I see the same guy. He is dancing on the side of the road, and he never fails to get a smile from me. It really is the best way to start the day. In my mind this man has become the archetype of joy. Some local coffee shop pays him to stand out front and dance to the music that only he can hear, while holding their sign to promote their coffee.

Some might find this job demeaning, but he seems to have found true happiness. Even if his is fake, the effect that he has on me is real. Every morning I am blessed with happy thoughts of this "dancing fool" who doesn't seem to have a care in the world. To make the situation even better, his performance is generally the last thing I see before I'm parking and going to work. I hope that someday you all know how wonderful it is to arrive at work with a fresh reminder of how ridiculous the entire thing is every morning.

In response to his display I tend to start the day relaxed. People tell me that I am too laid back, and they ask why I never look stressed out. I owe a lot of it to this guy. The rest I owe to my ability to recognize happiness and my attempts at focusing on the positives.

Now that I think about it, I don't want to meet him after all. I'm pretty sure that a conversation could lessen the effect. Sometimes things are best left alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment