Monday, April 19, 2010

The sweet tea debate

Why should I have to order unsweetened tea? Is there any other beverage that you have to special order to get it in it's natural state? Don't most of you that enjoy sweet tea order sweet tea? The only comparison that I can come up with is ordering undecaffeineated coke. It just seems like if I order iced tea, that is what I should get. If you then ask me if I want unsweet tea and I say yes, why do you still give me sweet tea? Is this an issue with language?

Personally, I think it is because of the name. Regardless of what you say, both names have sweet in them and I'm pretty sure that is all that is remembered. I remember reading a psychology study years ago that hypothesized that people are less effective at remembering negatives than positive statements. For this reason I propose that from here on out we refer to sweet tea as sweet tea and iced tea as iced tea. Hopefully if we do that my tastebuds can stop getting a sugar shock and I can go back to tasting my tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment