Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Goat Cave Preserve




While driving in South Austin this weekend, I stumbled upon a sign that was just too intriguing to ignore. The sign said Goat Cave Preserve. At first I thought that I must have read it wrong because my mind said that there is no instance in which those three words should ever be used together. I was in an exploring spirit, so I parked the car to see what I could find. The sign explained that there was a collection of sink-holes and caves i this area of Austin. Off I went to see these wonders.



Once I got to the cave, I was greeted with a sign that explained that while there were once 30,000 bats living in this cave, they had left and not returned. There is a fence surrounding Goat Cave that keeps you from getting too close. They posted a phone number that you can call for more information. I called it, and have not received more information about why the City of Austin has paid money to create a preserve for a cave that you are not allowed to visit... Such is Life. It was a fun adventure and although it was a little anti-climatic it was a fun time.

No comments:

Post a Comment