Saturday, June 6, 2009

Back in ATX


Sometimes it all just falls into place. A friend got me on the list to go see Animal Collective upon my return to Austin. During the show I was offered my first VIP pass to Stubb's. I had secretly been hoping that I would be able to get on the deck for the show, but was unwilling to ask for the pass when I had already asked to get into a sold out show. While on the deck, I realized that I had been taking too many pictures from my phone and the battery was about to die. I was able to send out a few last text messages updating the poeple that I knew who were in attendance at the show, and those that I thought would be downtown to set up a meeting after the show at Creekside. At first I was worried about being downtown without a mobile. It's funny how attached we get to these things. The anxiety quickly passed as I was able to receive confirmation from my friends that we would all meet up at Creekside later in the evening. The show was amazing, and being able to enjoy the view from the VIP deck made it even better.

After making it to Creekside, I ran into other groups of friends that I hadn't seen in a while. These included ex-girlfirends and their groups of friends, and old friends that I have been neglecting while in graduate school. A good time was had by all, and I got to experience one of those rare instances when a number of your worlds collide and everything works out just fine. The only moment of anxiety left was that my friend had still not arrived. She was working at Stubb's and so I didn't expect her to get out immediately, but I did start to feel concern as the hours passed. My friends had left the bar, I had no phone (that was functional, anyway), and I decided to walk the bar one more time before closing out my tab. As I closed out, the bartender handed me my card and told me to have a great evening, no charge. I turned around and my friend had just found me and was ready for her ride home. You really can't ask for a more perfect evening. I didn't spend any money and I enjoyed a concert complete with VIP treatment and a free bar tab. Sometimes it all just falls into place.

No comments:

Post a Comment