Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Oolong Tea from Norbu Tea

Today I am trying the Tie Guan Yin Oolong Tea from Norbu Tea. The packaging says that it is from the 2008 fall harvest. I am using 1.5 tsp of tea in a Tea Ball. I heated the water until it was about to boil and then I added it to my cup.

Originally, I let it steep for 2 minutes. I took a sip and my initial impression was that it had a pleasant earthy taste. It still felt a little bit weak to me so I let it steep for another minute. The water has taken on a pale yellow hue. As I sip the tea it doesn’t taste strong, but it isn’t weak either. The effects are almost immediate! The flavor is simple, but very satisfying. This is definitely nothing like the Black Tea that I typically drink… it’s better. It is a soothing tea yet there is definitely caffeine present. I’m not sure how much caffeine is in Oolong Tea, but my initial impression is that it would be great in the morning or in the afternoon as a pick me up. I can’t get over how simple yet flavorful it is. The front and middle of your tongue get the majority of the flavor. There is no bitter aftertaste. It is definitely a earthy, grassy flavor that is very satisfying.

I have let the tea cool some, and I am now getting completely different flavors. Now the flavor has become stronger. It is still earthy but it is more present. The flavor lingers on your tongue for a while. I feel like the outside edges of my tongue are receiving more of the flavor. I can’t wait to share this tea with friends. Now to find out how many times I can use the same leaves…I’m guessing 2-3 times. I would definitely recommend this tea to someone who is looking for an alternative to black tea.

Update: I just steeped the leaves a second time. There is less of a caffeine sensation, but the tea still tastes great!

No comments:

Post a Comment