Friday, January 27, 2012

Old-fashioned barber shop

I recently rediscovered the joys of the barber shop. When I was a kid I couldn't wait to get haircuts, but as I grew older they began to instill horror in me. By the time I was in high school they were my enemy ranking next to dentist appointments.

Fast forward to today. I'm now 35 and I view haircuts as a favor to myself. I get it cut short and I always feel a little spoiled once it's done. My ego thanks me every time.

Part of the transition from loathing to love is thanks to a small barber shop that I have been frequenting for about a year. It is the kind of family shop that has become rare these days. There is a couple and the wife's father all cutting hair together. One of my favorite parts is that they still do the razor finish. Nothing can compare to the feeling of a straight razor on your skin.

These are the thoughts that are spilling through my head as I is in the barber shop waiting for a chair to open on a Friday evening. It's been an hour since I got here and I'm sure to be up soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment